Monday, August 20, 2012

2010 Census: Blacks, Asians and Hispanics Now Majority in NYC

The Root published an interesting story, from the New York Times, related to the recently-released 2010 census regarding black, Hispanic and Asian residents of New York City.

The essence of the story states that black, Hispanic and Asian residents now make up a majority of residents in New York City and the suburbs of NYC (them metropolitan area) for the first time, according to the 2010 census. The article states that New York is the first major metro area in the U.S., outside of the South or West, to have non-Hispanic whites become the minority of the population.

For more information, visit: http://www.theroot.com/buzz/2010-census-blacks-asians-and-hispanics-now-majority-nyc

NOTE: Image was removed due to a complaint from Destination360

1 comment:

  1. ...As a New Yorker, I am very used to people of different races, nationalities and accents. I could always tell a White person's nationality just by looking at them. My first time traveling south-specificly Nashville, TN-I was encountered by white people who I couldn't easilly identify. They weren't White- Hispanic, or Russian, or Italian...I was puzzled, then it hit me that they were "American"...as in, they had been in this country for a very long while now...I'm so used to everyone being recent immigrants, whether it be their parents or grandparents or they themselves are. I realized that in a way, I had never seen a "real" White American before. :-D

    ReplyDelete